Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Rookie Mistakes

Back in 2010 (was it that long ago?) DH and I took a trip to London. When I came home, I found this canvas which I just had to have as these signs are all over their version of the subway. I like the ambiguity of this saying. It could be refering to anything, not just the literal gap between the car and the station platform.

Now I wasn't doing a lot a painted canvas at the time and I acquired threads. I stitched the red and blue and the white inside the circle and started the white up in the corner and made my first rookie mistake. 

That's right. I didn't purchase enough of my background thread. We see this mistake all the time at the shop. Not enough background thread. Best case scenario, you held on to your tags. Now we have a sporting chance of matching dye lots.  

Worst case scenario, and here's where I made my second rookie mistake, my threads got separated from my canvas. No idea how this happened. I am usually so careful about this. 

I thought I had been using Pepper Pot and I had an older skein of Cloud which is their white. In retrospect, maybe it was Vineyard I was using. As I can see a difference between the upper right corner and a couple inches in. And then came the second difference between Pepper Pot Cloud then and Pepper Pot Cloud now. That's where the arrow is. 

I'm not going to let this bother me. When it's made into a pillow and your sitting across the room from it, you will only see white. Not three different whites. 

Now that I'm no longer a rookie, but seasoned pro at painted canvas, I never make mistakes. LOL

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I think it adds definition. Mistake or not, I like this piece.

Sara Leigh said...

What mistake? Hahahahahaha. We know I would never let that happen. Often.

I'm glad you pulled this piece out to finish up. That's what you did, right?