Thursday, December 01, 2005

stitching blogger's question 12/1

Do you have rules in the way you stitch? (i.e., Do you start in the middle? Do you determine which blocks to stitch first? Do you always start from the top or the bottom? Do you have special paths to prevent wasting thread?)

Hmm. I'm reminded of a song by Jem -

Who made up all the rules
We follow them like fools
Believe them to be true
Don't care to think them through
I'm sorry so sorry
I'm sorry it's like this
I'm sorry so sorry
I'm sorry we do this
And it's ironic too
Cos what we tend to do
Is act on what they say
And then it is that way

And rules are meant to be broken would be a major philosophical tenet for me. But even then, sometimes those OCD tendencies come creeping out. So though I like to consider myself a rulerbreaker, I'm more of a careful considerer of rules. Do I always start at the top right of a pattern? Nearly almost always. But not always. That comes from stitching in hand so if I'm not stitching in hand, I may still start at the top right. Or the top left. But hardly ever the middle unless it's some concentric pattern. And never start at the bottom.

What other rules do I follow? Do I always park needles in the same place. Nope. I prefer to play the great needle hunt game. LOL Do I always end my stitching time with an empty needle, i.e. have to finish the thread I'm working on? Yup. You betcha. Very rarely leave a threaded needle.
Any other rules - not that I can think of. May have to read other replies to this question.

No comments: