Thursday, October 17, 2019

Colorfast - a Word that Caught My Eye

Today at work I was putting up an order of Gentle Arts threads when I noticed the word "colorfast."

See. I always thought that overdyed threads were not colorfast. But apparently that has changed. 

 Looking closely from left to right: 

No mention of Colorfast on the left. Middle thread says Colorfast. Thread on right says Colorfast (and then in teeny tiny letters) by industry standards. 

Edit:  left to right, oldest, older, and just arrived 



 Random pile to hang up because who doesn't love a lot of thread?

According the Gentle Arts website, we can wash our overdyed threads. See their care instructions here:  Gentle Arts

And turns out Weeks Dye Works has been doing the same. See their info here: 
Weeks Dye Works  

Now I don't want to alarm anyone, but in another trend I've seen, it's that some needlepoint threads are arriving with a dry block only notice on them. I've seen this on both DMC pearl cotton #5 and Vineyard silk. Not on all the threads, just certain ones. 

Really? What's a person to do?

Wash your hands frequently. Use a frame of some sort. Keep your work covered when not stitching. 

I'm not going to let this bother me.

No comments: