Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Live From New York

Peachy. Now to be subjected to four days worth of the Republican National Convention. And its accompanying protestors.

Yes. We should just turn the idiot box off. That would probably lower my blood pressure.

Last night we watched Bowling For Columbine. Did not try to plan this ironic juxtaposition. It was just up in our queu on Netflix. (I see Michael Moore was inside the convention center last night gathering much attention to himself.)

But watching this film brought back some memories for me. We lived in Colorado Springs in 1999. And though Michael Moore makes it seem like Rocky Flats Arsenal, the Air Force Academy, and NORAD are all within minutes of each other, I know better. I used to be able to sit in my backyard and watch the sun set over Cheyenne Mt (home of NORAD.) I was fortunate to be able to take a tour of this amazingly unique facility. It took me 20-30 minutes to travel north to the Air Force Academy, and another hour from there to Rocky Flats.

Today I read on message boards pleas from mothers whose children are being bullied in their and remember - "We Are Columbine." I guess we are a long way from being a "kinder, gentler nation." (note - check out what Nancy Reagen thought of that line http://www.patriotist.com/jaarch/ja20030728.htm)

Why do we insist on torturing each other as children? and even as adults? Why can't we all just get along?

No comments: