Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My Grandmother

No sympathy is necessary, but I would like to pay public tribute to my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep Monday night. She would have been 97 years old next week. She lived by herself. Just gave up driving last year. Still rode her 3 wheel bike. I would love to have half her energy and spunk when I'm older.

Growing up, we lived next door to my grandparents. She was always there for me. Made me spaghetti and meatballs whenever my mother was making pea soup. There was nothing she wouldn't do. Said it was easier to do it herself rather than waiting for someone else to do it. She'd bake and sew and wallpaper and move boulders. Just last year, my stepfather caught her climbing down the ladder from her roof. She was just checking things out. LOL

My grandmother didn't want any services. She's being cremated and in the spring we'll bury her next to my grandfather in New Hampshire. As my Mom is an only child, my sister and I are flying down to Florida to help her clean out the house.

Gram, you were one of kind. I love you.

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

You were lucky to have the kind of grandmother most of us dream about. Peace.

Anna van Schurman said...

Everyone needs a grandmother who will make them spaghetti when their cruel mother is making pea soup. She sounds like the kind of gram we all wish for.

Jenn said...

What a sweet tribute. Your grandmother sounded like a wonderful lady.