Hey. I copied this off a blog a while back thinking I play along. Today I'm finally ready:
Regional Phrases Quiz:
1. What term do you use to describe a sale of unwanted items on your own property? Yard sale.
2. What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road? ???Don't know as I don't remember there being anything like this in my home town.
3. W hat do you call the area of grass that occurs in the middle of some streets? A median.
4. What do you call the long narrow place in the middle of a divided highway? A median.
5. What do you call the drink made with milk and ice cream? A frappe.
6. What do you call the long sandwich that contains cold cuts, lettuce, and so on? An Italian or a sub or a grinder. Depends on where it was procured.
7. What do you call the insect that flies around in the summer and has a rear section that glows in the dark? A Lightning bug.
8. What do you call the miniature lobster that one finds in lakes and streams for example (a crustacean of the family Astacidae)? Crayfish.
9. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy-long-legs.
10. Are there very specific names used for paternal vs maternal grandparents in your area? No.
11. What do you call the big clumps of dust that gather under furniture and in corners? Dust bunnies.
12. What is your *general* term for the rubber-soled shoes worn in gym class, for athletic activities, etc.? Sneakers.
13. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Grocery cart.
14. What term do you use to refer to something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general)? Kitty-corner.
15. What do you call the activity of driving around in circles in a car? Doughnuts.
16. What do you call paper that has already been used for something or is otherwise imperfect? waste paper
17. What is your *general* term for a big road that you drive relatively fast on? Highway.
18. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? time to look for a rainbow
19. When you are cold, and little points of skin begin to come on your arms and legs, you have- goose bumps.
20. What do you call the gooey or dry matter that collects in the corners of your eyes, especially while you are sleeping? Sleep
21. What do you call an easy course? a gut class
22. What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle and you have to get off at a certain point? a traffic circle
23. Do you use the word cruller? Yes, doesn’t everyone?
24. Do you use the term "bear claw" for a kind of pastry? nope. I'd rather have a maple square anyway.
25. What do you call someone who is the opposite of pigeon-toed (i.e. when they walk their feet point outwards)? knock-kneed
26. Can you call coleslaw "slaw"? No.
27. What do you call the box you bury a dead person in? A coffin.
28. Do you say "vinegar and oil" or "oil and vinegar" for the type of salad dressing? Vinaigrette.
29. What do you call it when a driver changes over one or more lanes way too quickly? Around here an everyday occurrence.
30. When you stand outside with a long line of people waiting to get in somewhere, are you standing "in line" or "on line" (as in, "I stood ___ in the cold for two hours before they opened the doors")? In line.
31. Do you say "frosting" or "icing" for the sweet spread one puts on a cake? Frosting if I have to spread it on, icing if I can pour it on.
32. What is "the City"? Boston.
Thanks to whomever I stole this from.
Will try to return to posting with photos by Friday!