Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Museum Attendance

Shortly before leaving for NH in December there was an article in the Washington Post about historic houses and their declining attendance numbers.

I'd like to highlight a place that is experiencing the opposite - rising attendance. 

In the summer of 2011 I visited the John Paul Jones House in Portsmouth, NH to see their sampler collection. And I was surprised by how many pieces they had. I came home and wrote about it here on my blog. And I'm happy to highlight an article I read in the Foster's Daily Democrat when I was in NH at the beginning of the New Year.  

"PORTSMOUTH — The John Paul Jones House Museum, operated by the Portsmouth Historical Society is reporting their best year in over a quarter of a century. This year the museum saw a 24 percent increase in admissions.

The curator, Sandra Rux, continues to refine the museum’s fine textile collection. Recent accessions include a needlework sampler by Ann M. Gerrish that was purchased from Sotheby’s dated August 20, 1832. Recently conserved was a printed handkerchief of George Washington which was archivally framed and has now returned home to the parlor."

Full text of the article can be viewed here:  Foster's Daily Democrat 

The website for the house is here:  John Paul Jones House

 One of my photos of the house. 

And a few photos of the samplers. Unfortunately these were taken before I really mastered my camera. Very hard to take photos without glare from the lights.



I can highly recommend stopping by Portsmouth next summer to all the sampler lovers. And I wonder if the increase in attendance has anything to do with those of us who appreciate old needlework.

No comments: