Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why *blank* Matters

Another stitcher pointed me in the direction of this series which is now available for purchase:

Why Quilts Matter:  History, Art, & Politics

You can see a trailer here in case you never saw this on PBS.

I've had my so-called quilt phase. I learned to hand quilt in Germany from another Army Wife. And I was taught to do it all by hand. No sewing machines involved. I made several pillows this way as gifts and I'm sure none of them survive the decades. I did some very basic machine quilting with a friend a few years later. I don't have any of that either. And no photos were taken because I just wasn't thinking like that then. 

I still love to look at quilts. Because they are fabric and thread. I still have a few issues of Mark Lipinski's quilting magazine hanging around. (Why? Mostly for the color and because I knew him way back when on the AOL Cross Stitch boards. ToughGuyNJ.)

I've got one crazy quilt made by my great-grandmother that is in average shape. A few of the fabrics are disintegrating. Probably made in the 1930s. 

And I admit that I still go into quilt shops. For the fabric. But not to quilt it. LOL

I agree that quilts matter.

 

No comments: