Thursday, May 05, 2011

Post #1861

Post #1861 - I tend to correlate these numbers with dates, thus it's the start of the Civil War. Civil war - sounds like an oxymoron, but isn't. I would absolutely hate the English language if I was not a native English speaker. But I am and I love this type of confusion. 

Let's finish our weekend before the next one is upon us:

On Sunday we drove down to Richmond to view the Picasso exhibit before it ends.

Lovely building. Beautiful grounds. And the weather was very cooperative.



Acrylic on fiberglass, title of the piece is Splotch by Sol Lewitt. I love this! I know I've seen another of these pieces, but can't remember where.

Wow. Do they ever have a terrific collection of Art Nouveau and Art Deco. The silver buckles were mesmerizing. I can't say how much I love the sun bed made for a French actress.



Well. We were there to see the Picasso exhibit, which we did. The pieces are from the Picasso museum in Paris and most were donated by Pablo or his last wife, Jacqueline. The exhibit spans his entire career and is amazing. No photos allowed, but the above pigeon is a Picasso in the permanent collections.

We also stopped by the Virginia Center for Architecture whose building is known as the House that Pope Built. It's a Tudor style brick building that made me wish I could see more of it inside. Here's a Tudor rose over the front door!

We ended our visit with supper at Kitchen 64 which I can highly recommend if you're looking for a place to eat in Richmond. The mussels were yummy. And the Greek nachos were just too much. That and a couple of Newcastle's and I was all set. What a fun weekend. 

No comments: