Monday, September 21, 2009

Saturday's Class

On Saturday I had a workshop with Maggie Fraser on crewel work. As someone who was self-taught on how to do crewel back in the late 1960s, I definitely needed a refresher.

Maggie is an amazing needleworker and I have the slides to prove it. As historian for our guild I've been slowly digitizing slides that were taken in the early years of our EGA chapter's existence. Of the first two years, maybe 50% of the slides that are all finished projects, were stitched by Maggie.

Our piece is called the Tudor Rose. It's a blue rose based on research into a piece that EGA National owns. And even though I couldn't afford it at the time, I did get to admire the amazing wooden boxes that Maggie's husband makes. You can view his artistry here at Sylvan Treasures. This is now a Petit Project available through the EGA.

I'm not totally thrilled with my first petal, but the subsequent ones are looking better. And I still love the fishbone stitch. I've got maybe 7 or 8 crewel projects hanging out in the stash. And this should get me moving on them. Photos maybe tomorrow? Overslept. Got things to do...

No comments: