Monday, September 22, 2008

Young@Heart

This is my public service announcement for this DVD which was released last week. We saw the movie in the theater on Mother's Day. And it's just as wonderful the second time. Go out and buy it. You won't regret it.

And as a companion to Young@Heart I finally bought a copy of "The Last Lecture."

But right now I'm totally into this book called "Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin." It's about Edna Ferber, Dorothy Parker, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Zelda Fitzgerald in the 1920s. Very entertaining.

Went back to organizing yesterday afternoon and took care of the piles of stuff that had been, well, piling up, around my stitching supplies. This means that at the end of organizing I had to kit up some little tiny projects for the beginning of autumn.
A Drawn Thread scissor fob freebie, the Jolly Roger Cat freebie, and Spooky Hill from By the Bay. This last one has a photo whose colors do not match the real colors. I hate that.

So designer's - what is up with the bad photos? By bad I mean - out of focus and with untrue colors. I tend not to buy if the photo is out of focus. I mean who produces a chart with a horrible picture? Trust me, lots of people. If you want to increase your sales, provide a great photo. And the color thing really bugs me. I'm drawn to a design first by its color. And when the colors are untrue to the actual stitched piece, sometimes I feel ripped off.

And let's not even talked about by framing. There's a current magazine out there with a piece that is so badly framed - it's all warped and wobbly. This had to pass muster with a framer, maybe the original designer or stitcher, and the magazine staff. Unbelievable.

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

It's like they think of it as a hobby. I've got a post coming out about this. Someday. It's in my head, but it's coming. Promise!

PS be glad you didn't buy the NFL Sunday Ticket. It's only one game, but it was crazymaking.

Unknown said...

Yes, it is annoying to have a chart pictured that does not match the color of the thread. That's why I won't use Crescent Colors any more. Michael Powell is now claiming that the picture on the front of Cottage Garden I is wrong and NOT the chart or threads, but why didn't they say that to me when I first asked? Or send me a revised picture when they sent me a revised chart. LIARS.

But I did buy a pattern with non-matching colors. I saw a model stitched at the LNS, but when I went to get the pattern, the colors on the picture weren't even close. So I made notes on the pattern itself about the changes I would need to make to have it match the model I saw stitched. I wouldn't have done this on something large, but this is pretty small, so it should work out.

Donna said...

Anna - yeah, DH is congratulating himself for his clairvoyance in not ordering the Sunday Ticket. Still 21 regular season wins in a row is pretty impressive.

Kathryn - Argh. I love Crescent Colours, but no two dye lots are ever the same. I know 'cause I sometimes get to put the new order on the rack and boy oh boy, those colors rarely match. Sometimes they are just a little bit off, lighter or darker, but frequently they are not remotely the same. No quality control on these colors at all. Which is why if I'm using them, I buy multiples. I still love how they look and feel. But I wouldn't design with them.

Unknown said...

It's not just the variation in colors it's the variations in intensities! The Warm Water Wash I worked on really demanded a variegated thread for the sand castle. But this thread was almost all the same shade. So were two of the other threads from Crescent. If I put out extra money for a variegated thread, I WANT variety! This is one time a LNS is necessary so you can get just the thread you are looking for.