Thursday, January 29, 2009

Winter Weather at Last

Even the new President got in on the weather yesterday:

"Can I make a comment that is unrelated to the economy very quickly? And it has to do with Washington," Obama told reporters ushered in to hear him talk to a group of chief executive officers about his stimulus package.

"My children's school was cancelled today -- Because of what? Some ice?" Obama said in mock outrage, sparking laughter from his guests.

"As my children pointed out, in Chicago school is never cancelled, in fact my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go outside for recess.

"You wouldn't even stay indoors. We're going to have to try to apply some flinty Chicago toughness to this.

"I'm saying, when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."


It's quite obvious to me that the few winters he spent here as a Senator, he wasn't paying attention to things like school. Granted last winter, there was no snow. But the two years before that, there were snow days.

As a displaced New Englander, I feel his pain. And frustration. He should simply enjoy the fact that he will never have to deal with the stupidity that is drivers from southern climates driving in winter weather. Twenty plus years ago, we marvelled that two inches of snow could bring this region to a standstill. I think the public works types deal a bit better with it now. But still. It's so ridiculous to those of us who grew up with snow and ice and cold.

* * * * *

Can you believe that I've done no stitching for two days? Been busy rearranging furniture and putting things away in their new homes:






These are my Christmas presents. I had to wait a month past Christmas, but that's okay. China hutch and a sideboard that I believe the manufacturer referred to as a pantry cabinet. Now I need to rehang all framed items.

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Love the sideboard.

Try living in L.A. for 15 years when rain causes people to be incapable of driving in any sane manner--too slow on the freeway and too fast on the surface streets. It's rain; I can't imagine anything more treacherous. When I was in college, my friend from NJ would make me drive her car (a 70s era Cadillac, for goodness sake; talk about traction!) if we got any kind of snow. Fortunately, back then I had a lot of fresh practice!

Unknown said...

I too agree that it's nuts.

The question is: Is it more cost effective to create the infrastructure needed to deal with the snow and ice properly or to shut the schools (and government) down for a day or two?

The other problem is the county-wide school districts. If they'd had county-wide closings where I grew up (Erie Co, NY), we wouldn't have been in school all winter some years.

Anonymous said...

Well, he's not quite right. We do close schools in Chicago, but it takes a lot of snow or some serious cold to do it. My kids' schools have been averaging 1 snow day a year.

Gorgeous new furniture!

Unknown said...

Beautiful furniture!
Are you by any chance a fan of
Charles Rennie Mackintosh? (I hope my spelling was correct!)

Ginny K