Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lucky Me

I have a friend who has loaned me her Needlework System 4 stand and her Lowery Stand so that I can experiment and see which I like better. Both can be viewed here at Stitchers' Paradise.

I've been playing with the System 4 first. I've got my Amybear "Night Flight" on it. I think those stretcher bars are 24 inches long by 10 inches wide and I've got it clamped so that I'm working on it sideways - which is how I started with this piece on my table stand. I appreciate it's lightness. It adjusts easily. I'm stitching with the frame directly in front of me as I sit on the right hand side of my sofa. I'm still working on the best way to move things around when I need to exit the sofa. Good thing the phone didn't ring, because it took me a bit figure out the best positions for moving. Doesn't seem to need frame weights on the base to balance things. Will continue with this adventure. I've got the stands till next week. (Thanks, Amanda!)

Which led me to working on Night Flight. So I was merrily stitching away on the second section with the original combination of stitches - not the reverse scotch which she gave directions for - the combo of smyrna and straight stitches that are in the photograph. Again with the canvas showing through. One the advice of a friend I tried loosening my smyrnas, but it turns out that they were already fairly loose and the canvas still showed. Leading me to frog that section and paint it last night. I'm certain I'll be happier.

No comments: