Sunday, September 24, 2006

Frustration then Results

On Thursday, I was finally able to seriously work on putting my headboard together. I cut a long piece of wood in two for support legs. I predrilled holes for the screws to attach the legs to the headboard. I drilled 3 holes into the headboard in case I decide to add fabric covered buttons. I wrestled with the 3 foot by 5 foot piece of plywood. I rounded the corners of the plywood. I glued the upholstery foam to the plywood with spray adhesive. I used the electric carving knife to trim the foam. I placed the headboard upside down onto a large piece of batting. I found my staple gun. And then. My staple gun did not work! By the time my son and husband got home, I was in the middle of full-fledged fit. This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Every little thing I did that day, was harder than it should have been. Things were not where they should have been. I was pissed. I admit it.

Next day went to Home Depot and bought a new staple gun. I attached my batting. Ironed my fabric, attached fabric. Then I had to wait for someone else to come to flip the darn thing into place. And wouldn't you know, it's taller than I wanted. I'm not sure exactly where I made my measuring mistake. I can always cut down the legs. Just after all the time this took, I think I'll live with it like this for a while.

BTW, it looks great. The fabric is an embroidered tone on tone taupe. Vines and flowers in chain stitch. And if I ever read the bedroom, off comes the fabric and on goes new fabric. Just would have to pry out about 3 dozen staples.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Pictures! Pictures! And congrats on the accomplishment!