Friday, October 02, 2009

Whoops!

Yesterday morning I was in a quandary. I didn't know what to take to stitch group. Usually something will be calling to me. I didn't want to take the canvas piece I had been working on the night before as I had identified an slight error and didn't want to look at it anymore. I just wasn't in the mood to rip those ten stitches, anchor the ends, and put them back in facing the proper direction.

After the fiasco that was Wednesday, (Don't ask. Let's just leave it at I had to call the Plumbing Doctors...)I was really in the mood for something relaxing. Unchallenging. Pretty. And Easy Peasy.

So I grabbed my Tsunami Charity Quaker piece. And headed off to run errands before stitch group. Drycleaners. Pick up photos. Found a pillow case on clearance big enough to hold my scroll frame that the Quaker piece is on. Stopped in Kohl's to see if I could find that belt that we thought we had purchased on Sunday for my DH. It didn't make it into the bag and we hadn't paid for it. No luck with the belt. Perused the clearance bras looking for a wild purchase as I've got a class coming up on turning a bra into a bag. No luck there either.

Made it to stitch group. Finished up the green thread I was working with. Used one more green thread. Went back and stitched the crown that I had skipped so that I could roll the piece up on the frame. And then, and only then, did I decided that I needed to follow through with the plan to stitch this color that I don't really like. I had started a motif on the far left and at three threads into it, I had had enough. I had made a vow on this piece to stitch one motif at a time regardless. No moving on. But this color is yuck. And I had let myself skip to the green.

Back I go to the hated color. And start stitching. And have an moment of clarity.
Yes. Unbelievably I had stitched the previous portion of this motif not with two strands of this overdyed cotton, but with one strand by doubling up and using the loop start. Argh. It is muddy and grayed out and gross. No wonder I was disliking it so much. It all has to come out and be restitched. Wonderful. I don't know what possessed me. But I have a memory of starting one of those threads with a loop. That was a truly unengaged brain that day.

And this is what comes of unintentional stitching. Unhappiness.

Toddling off to find my Thich Nhat Hanh books.

No comments: