Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 12th

Yesterday morning I partially participated in the big mess that was the Washington D.C. commute as federal workers headed back to the office after nearly a week off.

Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

I had to bring DH to his office in Crystal City. Took us 1.75 hours. Usually it takes less than 30 minutes.

The major roads, I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road were perfectly fine. It's what happens as soon as you leave the major highways that is the problem.

There were a lot of turn lanes that never got cleared. There were lanes that just disappear under the snow. There were roads that were effectively a single lane that used to be four lanes.

Wow. Is this place bad at plowing or what?

Took DH two hours to return to the Park and Ride last night.

All in all, not good.

I did manage a stop at one LNS. Come on. It was my birthday. I've been home except for a quick trip to the grocery store since the week before. Contact with the outside world. Heavenly.

Only bought threads. But plenty of them!

Odds of getting out to dinner for my birthday were shrinking when I made the decision to just get pizza. Still we weren't sitting down to eat until after 8:00 p.m.

Today we went for a late lunch. Why? Because the nice restaurants we tried to get reservations at tonight were booked by people celebrating Valentine's Day. LOL

Still. I had a nice day. Even if my phone/doorbell kept interrupting me when I sat down to stitch. Causing me to decide that the stitching mojo was off and so instead I actually did some housework and played on my DS. Yes. That's an exciting life.

My husband's boss who was also in London for the conference, was appalled when she heard what he had bought me. A needlework thing. That I had to make myself??? What the heck kind of gift was that. I say it's the perfect gift for the correct person.

1 comment:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Glad to hear you are out now. I am on Day 9 of being trapped at home and I think it'll be at least the weekend before we can get out, pick up the mail, hit the grocery store, etc. The longest we've ever been trapped here is 9 days so this will set a record. Fortunately, we know we are on our own when it comes to plowing or any services so we were prepared. Except I'm running out of coffee.

I have stash, though. Glad to hear you stocked up, just in case. As for your birthday present, it was perfect.