Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ah Bureaucracy!

Yesterday I was rudely reminded of times past (or the VA DMV!) when I attempted to do something that should be simple and straightforward and run smack dab into unexpected rules. I went to the base to register the new car and get DoD decal. I checked online for requirements and hours they do registration having learned from past experiences. But no where online did they say to check the expiration date on your ID. Because mine expires this summer, I can't do the registration until I get a new ID card. The lovely woman cannot tell me exactly what I need for renewing ID. As it's been a few years since I've done this, I'm fuzzy on the details. Head across the base to the ID card section. Only to confirm what I suspected. Without my "sponsor" I need my Power of Attorney. The man at the ID section is extremely patronizing. I was just trying to explain to him that I had left home with no intention of finding myself at the ID section. Blah. People can be mean.

This means I have to do this return trip again on Friday as it would be nice to have the car registered as we are soon taking a mini-trip.

Can't go today as I am meeting friends at Woodlawn for the Show and lunch. This is my regular Thursday stitching group. Wonderful ladies. We'll have a blast. Hope we aren't so loud as to get kicked out. I assume a stop at In Stitches in Alexandria is also in order. Those ladies should have been warned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ID doesn't expire till this coming summer but you can't re-register the car on a currently valid ID? Only our government...

Donna said...

Your ID card can't expire within ten months. How anyone came up with number is way beyond me!

Unknown said...

DoD - what fun. I remember my first experience - trying to get my ID card right after we were married. Dude at registration couldn't cope with a hyphenated last name and actually said that they only accepted proper English names. Since my last name has never been a proper English name (it's German), I almost threw a fit right then and there. We "compromised" by taking out the hyphen and running both parts of the name together.