Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Stitching Bloggers' Question of the Week

If you were to stitch something to be passed on to future generations of your family as an heirloom, what would it be and why?

So far my two heirloom pieces that are completed and framed are my Newburyport Sampler and a Heart's Content piece, "After Sorrow." I stitched these mostly in tandem, one rather large and one rather small.

The Newburyport (follow link down while admiring Page Dorsey's other works) was stitched as part of the Internet Sampler Band that was being run by Ellen Chester of With My Needle. Took me 18 months to finish it. I did make a few changes, the biggest being changing the words to a verse from "Tis a Gift to be Simple." I can easily see one of my children giving this to one of their grandchildren in the far distant future.

The Heart's Content piece - well, I used to stitch this on Sunday mornings while DH would be rehearsing with the choir. How I loved the light in that church in Colorado Springs. Our interim minister offered to buy it from me, but I told her we didn't pay her enough. I figured if someone paid me $800 I might be persuaded to stitch it again...

No comments: