Friday, July 05, 2013

Friday Update

 Happy Birthday to the US of A. I get nostalgic this time of year because I have so many happy memories associated with the 4th. As a child, we used to go to a small town celebration where there were carnival games and rides and bingo and country and western music and the best French fries ever! On the third of July they would have a bonfire. Not just any old bonfire. But literally a tower of wood topped by a wreck of a car about thirty feet high. Before midnight one of the local volunteer firefighters would take a can of gasoline and climb to the top of the tower and a spotlight would follow him spreading the gas around the car. Then he would climb down and at midnight they'd torch that sucker. Not sure how they never burned the surrounding forest to the ground, but they didn't and this was truly a firebug's paradise. The next day we'd come back for more fun and games and food and horse trail rides and it would end all end with glorious fireworks. And those are just my childhood memories...

A week ago Thursday, while on the first night of our retreat, I finished the border around my Moxie piece. I've got a stitch or two or three to tweak and next week I'll be heading off to the framers. Tried to get there this week, but things got in the way.


I'm tremendously pleased by how this turned out. Framing it ought to be interesting. My hubby and I shared some ideas for what we could attempt. Hoping I don't have to compromise my vision too much. But that is a lot of orange...

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Love your Moxie!

Margaret said...

Your Mpxie is wonderful! Wow, that's quite the story about the bonfire you remember from childhood. This happened every year? Wow!

Lisa said...

I love the Moxie! I look forward to see how you frame it! Take care.