Friday, March 17, 2006

Woodlawn Day

I made there bright and early - well, 10 a.m. 'cause that's when they open.

There are some amazingly talented individuals out there with needles in their hands. *applause*

Though again I have sometimes have to wonder at the judging. The piece that won the Pope Leighey Award was puckered. It was two of the Kreinik 40 ct over one with silk on silk gauze cat faces and the black and white cat had a huge ripple in it. Now I realize that the framing is out of the stitcher's control most of the time, but that doesn't mean that the stitcher should accept a less than perfect framing job. Trust me that wasn't all that I noticed. 'Nuf said.

But I think they nailed Best in Show. It was stitched by Sharon Hines of Smithfield Virginia and contains the stitcher's prayer written by Mary-Dick Digges. A stunning sampler.

Though the Japanese threadwork piece was absolute perfection.

I did wander over to In Stitches afterwards. Needed some supplies for an EGA class. And wanted to pick up the fabric for A Most Noble Pursuit. Which will make it into the rotation sometime. And I'm planning on stitching 8 of the 10 designs.

I picked up Sheepish Designs Kitty Exemplary, the fabric for it, and the threads. But somehow the graph didn't make it into my bag (nor did I pay for it.) Oh well. An excuse to return. Also bought Carriage House Samplings "Matter's Choice" and the 2 skeins of Needlepoint silk needed to do it. Will look in stash for fabric for this one.

No comments: