Thursday, February 08, 2007

So Yesterday

I walked in the house with absolutely perfect timing. I could hear water running through the pipes (the heat was not running, otherwise I would not have heard this.) Thought maybe Alex was in the shower. Went upstairs. He wasn't. Hmmm. Went downstairs. Walked into the office and heard a strange sound coming from the heating vent. I'm walking around trying to figure out what's going on. Finally zero on the fact the floor is wet near the corner of the room by the window. Run and shut main water line off - while swearing like a sailor of old. Alex and I start sopping up the water and moving things. Fortunately I must have arrived very soon after this happened.

Called DH. Who. Said. He. Was. In. A. Meeting.

Started calling plumbers. Started with the one I used last year for a clog in the main sewer line. No one could guarantee that they could get to me today. WTF?
Great. I kept calling. And found someone. And actually had a plumber here before 3 o'clock.

Now the horrid part of this story is: there were already holes in this wall. Plumber located the patched drywall right away.This particular pipe had already been patched twice!!! And they never thought to maybe do something about the insulation! Insert curse words here for previous idiots who have lived here.

About this time, DH shows up. He told colonel of my problem and colonel sent him home. I am seriously liking this guy.

The plumber was great. He put in a shut off valve for this outside faucet. Fixed everything within 1 1/2 hours. Cost less than $300. I'm feeling fortunate. And I'm glad I hadn't painted this room yet. 'Cause now I've got some drywall patching to do. Good a place to practice as any. After we fix the insulation.

1 comment:

Jenn L in Chicago said...

I hope they replaced the pipe rather than just patch it again? Cause obviously patches aren't gonna hack it in this kind of weather...

Amazing timing, and so very glad it wasn't worse!