Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Five Ws

Gacked from B at Mainely Stitching:



Who taught you to stitch, and were there any special circumstances or memories surrounding this?

I first learned stitching sitting at my grandmother's knee. She wasn't an expert, but rather a jack-of-all-trades so I got a taste of machine sewing, knitting, crocheting, and a bit of handsewing. I participated in that great crewel revival of the late 60s early 70s where we all adorned our jeans and jackets and anything else that wasn't moving. The cross stitch thing came later, at age 26 when an Army wife from South Carolina introduced me to it in Germany. We were so desperate for supplies that we started a shop inside a craft consignment shop. I was blown away when I returned stateside and walked into In Stitches in Alexandria, VA.

What’s your favorite thing to stitch? (A project, a kind of stitching, etc.)

I admit to having a "thing" for samplers. I enjoy multiple stitches/techniques.

Why do you stitch?

Because I have to.


When is your special stitching time?

No special time. Though I tend to do a lot while watching the Red Sox - I love satellite tv.


Where is your special stitching place? (An accompanying picture would be great!)

My chair in the living room. Though sometimes, depending on the project, I sit at the dining room table.

I've got no photos of me stitching. But on the table beside my lunch leftovers I see a bit a thread and my page up for holding a chart. The big guy is Elvis.


No comments: