Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Strange

It is funny how a bit of disruption leads to more disruption. We've had the new furniture in the house one week and I'm still trying to get things right. Freecycled two pieces of furniture over the weekend and that means I have to figure out where the stuff that was inside the desk and sideboard should go.

One Saturday we stopped by my favorite reuse shop - Upscale Resale. Where I spotted a small oak washstand that would be marked down on Monday. (That's how this place operates. There's a price on the tag, and then future prices when it will be marked down if it hasn't sold.) That means that yesterday morning I was waiting outside the store for it open. There was some drama going on with the police and what looked to be a mentally unstable person, so several of us got to watch that while waiting. I snagged my washstand and took a quick look around to make sure there was nothing else I needed. Came home, put washstand by front door, cleaned and polished it. Filled up the drawers. Found two embroidered linen towels to hang on the bar, put plants on it and it's totally cute. That took care of some of the desk stuff. DH took care of some of the desk stuff. I've still got some stuff that needs a home. Linens got sorted. Made a pile for donation. Made a pile for storage - this is the stuff that won't fit into new sideboard. And put the rest into the sideboard. That means I've still got two piles of linens on the floor. Then I started rehanging stuff on the walls. Got five things up, but took five things down to put those up. That's not progress. Moved a library table back into the living room and got that squared away.

Did I mention I left home without my cell phone? For the second time in a week. This is what I mean by disruptions causing more disruption. Because things are moved around my phone isn't where it usually is and I leave home without it. I'm surprised at how naked it feels to be out without my cell phone. Both times I realized when I was too far away to turn back and get it. Hopefully this phase is over now.

I guess I'm mentally unstablized by having my surroundings disrupted. This must come from years of moving. I like when things find their place and I can relax.

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Just make sure you don't end up in a confrontation with police in front of the resale shop! ;)

Donna said...

Phew. I'm glad I'm not that mentally unstable, but it sure would give me something to write about...