Sunday, April 26, 2009

Inner Nana, Indeed!

Look. People reinventing the wheel - needlework as art.

Though I have to admit the life size knitted version of her father dressed as a policeman is wonderful.

It's the snarkiness of the tone. The insinuations that anyone over 30 wouldn't dream of embroidering a nude or the word "f*ck."

My inner Nana says their inner Nanas ought to instead celebrate that there is a place in this world for beautiful stitched flowers as well as nudes. That just because it's shocking doesn't elevate it to art over things that aren't shocking.

And in my own personal stitching news

I forgot to say that I bought my first sets of Evertite stretcher bars. So what's the big deal? You can read more here on Mary Corbet's blog. Will report on my experiences when I get a project on the frame.

Stitched on the Tsunami Quaker yesterday for quite a bit. When I finish this motif hopefully today, I'll post a progress picture.

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

"That just because it's shocking doesn't elevate it to art over things that aren't shocking." Good point. These people are so f*&^ing smug, and yet they leave no place to comment on the article. I wanted to let them know about that old Canadian man, Jim from rctn, who stitches nudes. He needs a publicist.

The dude thinks I should get in on it. He's coming up with rude and shocking things for me to stitch.

Unknown said...

The reporter is a wimp. He can talk about nudes and rude samplers, but no pictures. Amateur.