Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Does Anyone Know?

Does anyone know who stitched the version of Stars for a New Millennium that was entered in the Woodlawn Needlework Show in 2009?

Because whoever stitched that one, it's having far flung consequences.

After identifying what the piece was, a group of stitchers from the Scarlet Thread in Virginia decided to take on the challenge of this piece.

Which prompted Jane of Chilly Hollow to bring out her version that was in progress. Which prompted Laura Perin to find her version.

Who's next?

Not an inexpensive project. And not for the faint of heart. But as some stitchers have started blogging about this piece by Tony Minieri maybe we'll inspire even more people to pull out their existing project. Or inspire stitchers who have never seen it, to purchase and join in the fun.

But I sure would like to know who stitched that one at Woodlawn last year.

2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

My notes from last year's Woodlawn don't say who the stitcher was who did Stars although I noted I saw a version. Actually, I have been planning to pick p and stitch Stars since last fall before I knew that the Scarlet Thread group was planning to do this but a lot of folks who read Blog have pulled their partly done version out and are working on it. We influence each other a lot, don't we?

Everyone have fun with this regardless of the nameless stitcher who showed at Woodlawn in 2009.

Arlene said...

My name is Arlene and I live in New Jersey. It is absolutely amazing that I have stumbled onto your blog by chance at the right time, just a few days after you wrote this post. I am the anonymous stitcher who had my version of Stars hanging at Woodlawn last year.

I just pulled out my box of Woodlawn papers and such (I have entered pieces for 12 years; alas, though, not this year) and found the comment sheets sent to me last year. And there it is, SaraLeigh Merrey, Scarlet Thread. I know I emailed all those who asked about the pattern and she was one of them. I am a little thrown off (and humbled) that seeing my piece at Woodlawn last year started some others on their own Stars journey. I've followed Jane at Chilly Hollow as she has been writing about Stars recently, liking very much the connection and knowing so well the complexity of the work she is doing

My Stars piece was made as a special gift for a dear friend of mine - actually, made to be a heirloom piece for her daughter. Not someone I wished to make a typical baby sampler for, but rather the desire to give a gift of art. I began stitching two nights before the baby was born (although had been planning and collecting threads for a couple of months) and would have had it in their hands in time for a first birthday if I hadn't decided to send it to Woodlawn first, with my friend's blessing. After it was returned to me, it was then sent to my friend, who unfortunately live very far away from me. Her little girl just celebrated her second birthday last week.

I can't tell you how touched I am to reach out and connect with someone who was "looking" for me. Although I often spend a little time each evening looking around on the needlework blogs, this is the first time I have ever posted a comment. (not surprisingly, I don't have a blog myself.)

Thank you so much for making my day today - it really meant a lot to me.

arlene