Wednesday, February 02, 2011

A Weekend and the Aftermath

Last Friday seven intrepid travelers headed west on I-66 to the Retreat Center at Signal Knob. It had been snowing fitfully all morning - of course, the weather people had called for flurries, but this was a bit more than flurries. By the time we arrived, the weather had finally decided to give us a break. 

 When the directions say to turn right after the big barn, they aren't lying. The turn is immediate and the barn is big! The four of us who got there first chose bedrooms and stitching spots in the living room. We even claimed coffee mugs! And soon we got down to the business of working on Stars for a New Millenium by Tony Minieri. If you'd like to know more, you can check here at Tony's homebase - the Edwardian Needle.

Here's where I was at on Friday afternoon. I'm appalled that this represents nearly a year of stitching. This project has been put away too often, for too long. My stitching is sideways. That's Marilyn Monroe on the top, Clark Gable in the middle, and I was about to start on Vivien Leigh.


After of hours of laughing and talking and fighting off the invasion of the box elder bugs, this is how much progress I made over the course of the weekend. 
On Friday evening I had made a goal of finishing two new square for myself. I didn't quite make. In fact, it's rather depressing how long a square of this project can take. But I can deal with that. 



Vivian is so beautiful and captivating that I am completely satisfied with the weekend's progress. Photo is kind of yellowed - no good natural light here at home this morning. But from the moment I completed that inner square with the trebizond outline, I was hooked.

Posted by Picasa

I jumped down to the middle square, having already planned this by stitching the sashing. This is Eva Marie Saint. I've gone through a love/hate relationship with this square. She was looking very light and pale until I got to the blue color on those squares. I'm back to liking her again.

Now for the unfortunate part of the weekend. It seems that some of us came home with a problem, possibly a norovirus. Let's just say that I don't want to relive any of the past 40 hours of my life. 
Due to decreased brain function this is not the post that I had intended to write. If you'd like to see photos of my friends' versions of Stars, go here:




No comments: