Sunday, June 19, 2011

Two Finishes

Silly, but this Cajun Santa hand-painted canvas was one of my original Crazy January Challenge projects. But somehow it didn't make the final cut. Too bad, because it's finished. Jokes on me, I guess.


Santa's in his pirogue in the bayou. He seems to have caught the attention of an alligator. Maybe Monsieur Gator is looking for his presents under the light of a full moon as the swamp grass and stars twinkle in the night. 
 


The moon and the gator's eye are a ribbon floss and the rest is wool. It was all kitted up and I bought it at the Quarter Stitch in New Orleans. I tried substituting beads for the stars, but didn't like how it looked. No fun frogging beading thread from tent stitched wool. But I did it. I'm sure there's a couple of beads buried in the rug somewhere in the living room.

And last week, I completed the finishing on this one. This is a version of the Acacian flag. Don't ask, as there are several depending on where you are. This, too, was bought as a kit in New Orleans, but this one came from the Garden District Needlework Shop. Google them if you're interested in any New Orleans themed ornaments. There's over 100 kits available.

No comments: