Friday, July 13, 2012

Back from the Finishers


We have a resource here in the northern Virginia area called DeVaris. They are a needlepoint finishing shop in Alexandria. A friend and I went there last month. Don't bother looking for a website as there is none.


Here's what I got finished.

 
Too sweet! The lady who painted this canvas is not painting any more. Which is a shame. 

And then there's little bargello experiment I stitched. This is 6 skeins of Carrie's Creations "Caribbean Laney" and one skein of DMC. I just wanted to see what would happen with an overdye and Carrie's is great to try these things as it is the most reasonably priced of the overdyed cottons. 


I had this length of turquoise silk in my fabric stash as there is another pillow that it was intended for. I think I still have enough to do that one, too. This is a bag. I was intending to attach a chain for carrying, but now I'm rethinking that. I might go with a kumihimo braid. 

I'd say this was a successful experiment. Not all of them are! 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you know if they'll finish cross-stitch pieces, too? That looks like great work.

Donna said...

Yes. They've handled my friend's crewel pieces beautifully. They do "soft" finishes - pillows, bags, ornaments, etc.

riona said...

I never heard the term kumihimo braid before ... what is it? Or, alternatively, how is it made? Is it similar to the twisted cord trim so many of us already make with cording drills?

Shaunterria said...

I love the way the pillow turned out, and your second experiment is really impressive. Beautiful work!

--shaunterria
ca11i0pe.blogspot.com

Teresa S. said...

Very pretty! I don't comment often, Donna. But I love reading your blog.

Anna van Schurman said...

Great bag!