Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Year Ago

I was just sitting here ruminating on the fact that last year at this time I was at EGA National Seminar in Naples. I had a wonderful roommate and she and I had agreed that we did not need to turn on the television. Ever. 

 Which made this day one year ago much easier. 

And maybe what I am about to say is impolitic. But I have to say it.

I am tired of hearing everyone's version of where they were and how they found out on 9/11/2001. 

There I said it. 

Maybe it's different if you live somewhere other than NYC or the metro D.C. area or around Shanksville, PA. But here in the DMV (District- Maryland- Virginia), if the subject comes up in conversation, everyone feels the need to share their personal story. Every time the subject comes up. I understand the impulse, but I am tired of listening. 

Is it a good day to be patriotic? When is not a good day to be patriotic. Is it a good day for reflection and remembrance? Yes. Is it a good day for realizing that life is short and it can all come to end far too quickly? Yes. 

Which is why for the remainder of today, there will be no television. No facebook. No radio. No news updates. And maybe next year, I will remember this before I ever turn on anything electronic. 

And in stitching news, and yes, there is stitching news I give you a small finish and some pillows. 

 I don't expect anyone to recognize this as one of 2011 Crazy January Challenge projects, but it is. It was a Sampler Girl freebie that I changed the year and place on. I used Danish Flower Thread and a scrap of linen. And now I think I'll go see if I can turn it into a little pillow. 
 
And some of you may recognize these - some nearly completed kissing pillows. I need to stitch the stars on them by tomorrow to turn them in at our board meeting.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Donna.

Your thoughts resonate with more people than you realize.

Carol S.

Anna van Schurman said...

87 I thought the same thing: I'm going to have to stay off FB today. This NYC performance artist came to USC maybe two years after 9/11 with a performance she had been doing about being in Wall Street area that day. One of her "bits" was to talk about packing up and being ready to move since they had no idea what would happen next. "Who keeps emergency supplies ready all the time?" she asked. Sitting there, I thought, "Everyone in this fucking room, idiot."

When I lived in downtown L.A. during the riots, people who lived in the Valley and had to tell their "riot story" at every opportunity. Talk to me when you live 15 miles closer to where it all went down, right?

lewmew said...

I know exactly how you feel as I feel the same way.

dixiesamplar said...

I don't think it is unpatriotic of you to not want to have this tragedy rehashed every anniversary...I don't think ANYONE who was alive that day will ever forget it, whether they were in NY or anywhere else on earth that day; but, do we need to constantly open those wounds time after time? I'm with you...yes, let's reflect on the loss of our fellow countrymen and women; yes, let's never forget how it brought us together as Americans (even if only for a day)...but, we don't need endless TV shows, interviews, and speakers to bring it out for display every anniversary either.

I think I will follow your lead from now on...I will show my respect to those who died that day by reflecting in silence! Thanks for your perspective!

Glad you were able to get in some stitching :o)