Monday, August 29, 2016

Deadlines

Last year at the opening banquet of ANG seminar in Myrtle Beach, I had a vision. They had just announced the Quest Challenge for 2016.

Deadlines. I could see it in my head. Because of working on the Needlepointers magazine, I would stitch an adaptation of the cover of the magazine. And I knew exactly which cover - Emily Caneer's Ima Stitcher name tag which I had the pleasure of photographing for the magazine.

When I got home, I immediately found that issue, picked a color palette and began stitching. Most of the threads came out my abundant stash. And I went with my favorite purple, teal, blue, and green.

I followed the original directions for the most part. Biggest change was deciding what to put in the name space. Eventually I chose Tempus Fugit  - Latin for Time flies.

Had this stitched within a month and sent to a finisher to be made into a flat ornament without a hanger. Even though I told her the back would never be seen, it has the most gorgeous fabric on the back.

Now here's where the whole deadline thing comes into play. I now started to procrastinate. In fact, I didn't consider starting my background till the end of May when I used photo transfer paper to print a grayed out version of the name tag on the canvas behind the name tag. Then I painted Needlepointers and the column of purple.

In June I finally got to work stitching. Let's just say that's a lot of skip tent in Petite Silk Lame Braid that was difficult to see.

As you may surmise, I made my deadline for framing. And my piece traveled to New Orleans with a friend.

I hear it's returning home with a blue ribbon!

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Congratulations! Interesting story behind the design. I understand the procrastination part best. ;-)

jhm said...

COngrats!

LIZ said...

Congrats. Super idea, fabulous execution!