Sunday, June 30, 2019

March Demo Day

 See. I'm still catching up.

March in northern Virginia means it's time for the Woodlawn Needlework Show. I had entered two pieces. More on those later. First, let's talk about demonstrating at Woodlawn.

They ask demonstrators to pick a technique to highlight. And I knew my studio was a disaster (still is) so I chose something I knew I could pull together quickly, my miniature stitching, or whatever you want to call silk gauze and stitching over one.

My first formal needlework classes were in the 90s at the Spirit of Cross Stitch in Sacramento. I took an over one on 32ct linen lily class with Maureen Appleton, the queen of over one stitching. Finished the piece maybe 10 years later, but I've purchased and stitched (and collected) many of her kits.

My second class was a silk gauze bluebird with Paula of Crossed Wing. I finished that one right away and gave it as a gift. Again, I became a big fan of her silk gauze kits and stitched many pins and porcelain boxes as presents. That photo is one I'm finally stitching for myself.


I knew I'd be upstairs at Woodlawn in a room with brilliant sunshine. So I didn't bring a magnifier or light. But I did bring this Charland Designs Irish Sampler for my afternoon stitching as the sun eventually moves on. It's always been a pleasure to stitch in public at Woodlawn and chat with those touring the show. Many are stitchers, but a lot aren't. It's an opportunity to educate and just hang out in a beautiful space doing something I love to do.

No comments: