Thursday, November 18, 2010

Book Meme

I'm sure this is going to take more time than I have right now. Let's see how fast I can type without time for reflection. 


I got this from Anna.

Favorite childhood book?Without a doubt, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

What are you reading right now? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

What books do you have on request at the library?Zip. Last book I had on hold was The Dome by Steven King

Bad book habit?Food stains from reading while alone eating lunch.

What do you currently have checked out at the library?None. Last book I read from the library was The Girls of Ames, Iowa.

Do you have an e-reader? A Nook. And that's how I read The Girls from Ames, Iowa.

Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?Now that I have a Nook, I am back to reading multiple books at once.

Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?Maybe slightly less time for reading. But I think that's because I'm spending more time stitching.

Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)There must be one, but I can't think of one right now. Oh wait - Phillipa Gregory's The Red Queen. Did she really write this one?

Favorite book you’ve read this year? Boozehound by Jason Wilson. Not fiction, in case you're wondering.

How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Often.

What is your reading comfort zone? I prefer fiction to non-fiction. But will read anything. I love good biographies. My "guilty pleasures" are sci-fi, fantasy, and mysteries.

Can you read on the bus or train? Yes.

Favorite place to read?In bed. I read nearly every night before going to sleep. It's almost impossible for me to go to sleep without reading.

What is your policy on book lending? To good friends only. But even then, I've been burned. My favorite was the time I lent two books on how live a frugal life to a friend. Who later moved away with my books. I guess the lesson she learned was live frugally by stealing from your friends.

Do you ever dog-ear books? Never.

Do you ever write in the margins of your books?No. That's what notebooks are for.

Not even with text books? I highlight, but I don't write.

What is your favorite language to read in? English

If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?What is this if? I've read books in both French and German. I can still read in French.

What makes you love a book? Being transported.

What will inspire you to recommend a book? I've pretty much stopped this practice.

Favorite genre? Fiction.

Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?) ??? If I wished I read the genre, I do. What kind of f'd up question is this?

Favorite biography?This year it was Henry VIII: The King and His Court by Alison Weir.

 Have you ever read a self-help book? Yes.

Favorite cookbook? The Joy of Cooking - the 1970's edition I've been using decades. That's my go to cookbook that I'd want on the proverbial desert island. 

Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? The two Richard Brautigan books I found at the used bookstore - Rommel Drives on Deep Into Egypt and The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster.
Favorite reading snack?Nuts.

Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.  This happens to me all the time. How about A Confederacy of Dunces? Hated it.


How often do you agree with critics about a book? I'd have to read the critics to know. 

How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?  Not a problem.

Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?Books do not intimidate me.

Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin? Really?

Favorite Poet?Argh. Too many to choose. This week, because it's autumn and beautiful outside, let's say Mary Oliver.

How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? Used to be 4-5. Now I'm reading on my Nook. And only have one library book at a time on there.

How often have you returned book to the library unread?Hardly ever.

Favorite fictional character? Jo March.

Favorite fictional villain? Moby Dick.


Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation? TheNook. I'm taking my library with me!

The longest I’ve gone without reading. Certainly less than 24 hours.

Name a book that you could/would not finish. War and Peace. But I'm vowing publicly to give it another try.

What distracts you easily when you’re reading? Nothing.


Favorite film adaptation of a novel? The Hours.

Most disappointing film adaptation? Without a doubt, Dune.

The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?I have no idea.

How often do you skim a book before reading it? Sometimes?

What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through? I almost always finish every book. It has to be completely inane for me to stop.

Do you like to keep your books organized? In an ideal world, yes.

Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?Books that I keep. All needlework, most cookbooks, all poetry. Fiction, I pass on.

Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?Certainly.

Name a book that made you angry. My mind is a blank of this.

A book you didn’t expect to like but did. Moby Dick. I'm an English major who escaped reading this book. I read it maybe 6 or 7 years ago. And loved it.

A book that you expected to like but didn’t. There are way too many books that fall into this category today. The publishing world should be ashamed. 

Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading. Stupid, silly mysteries.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you my long lost sister? We share a lot of the same likes. (My real sister and I have almost nothing in common.)

Eight Cousins is my favorite Alcott book.

I read your comment on the "proverbial desert island" as "proverbial dessert island" at first.

Donna said...

A proverbial dessert island? I know some people who would volunteer for that trip!

Hurrah for long lost sisters!