Friday, December 16, 2011

Catch Up

On Wednesday we had a lovely luncheon at Mt. Vernon. As always the Inn was nicely decorated and the food was fine. 

Our lecturer was Susan Schoelwer who is now a curator at Mt. Vernon. Previously she worked for the Connecticut Historical Society and is the author of

Connecticut Needlework: Women, Art, and Family, 1740-1840

which I have a copy of somewhere upstairs. 

In this past year I discovered family roots in Connecticut that I didn't know we had. I did get to ask Susan after the program if she knew of any pieces associated with that name in Connecticut and the answer was no. Though I dream of one day finding a connection to a historic textile, I really don't think it's going to happen. 

Of course we made the requisite stop at In Stitches afterwards and I may have changed my mind about my colors for the Kimono class. Just call me crazy. 

It seems that I get stuck with a color palette in my head sometimes. And thus the colors that I'm working with for a design of my own on canvas, have become the colors of my Kimono. 

Which is what happened to me with my Molehill to Mountain. We talked about block 4 last night at our chapter meeting. I have on this project - 1 completed block, 1 block 2/3rds finished, and 1 block barely started. I know I need to work on this piece more, but it's not a casual pick up. Takes me a bit to reorient myself every time I do pick it up. And that means I need to stitch on it a bit more often. It's not a good project if you're not in the mood to make decisions, I do know that. 

I'm at the social obligations winding down stage of December. We had a marvelous potluck yesterday with my Thursday group. Now I just need to do a touch more shopping and plenty of wrapping. I'm not losing sleep over any of it.





 

3 comments:

Donna said...

Don't know why the post has different formatting. It all looks normal when I try to edit it. Blogger fail.

jhm said...

Keep searching because if your roots go back far enough in Connecticut, there should be a textile somewhere. I have one in Betty RIng's double volume. THe family ended up being prominent during the rev. war. DOn't know if that helped the sampler to kept or not. I suspect ancestors/relatives who just never tossed anything.

JHM
http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

Nicola said...

The Christmas lights on the trees are gorgeous. I always umm and arr over colour choice but have made my decision for the Kimono just waiting for the supplies to arrive.