Monday, January 19, 2009

Da Punch Needling Thing

I finished my first piece on Saturday. And learned a lot in process. I managed to correct my technical errors and picked up some great tips. Joined a punch needle yahoo group that is very chatty.

Learned a lesson though about changing colors. When picking the colors for my first piece - one blue, one green, one brick red, and one yellow - I decided the brick red was too light for my taste so I used one strand of the called for color with two strands of the next darker shade. And I didn't have the green and went slightly darker with that, too. And the result was that all of my colors except the yellow are basically the same color value and things kind of muddy together when stitched that densely. In hand, the colors looked great. Punched - there just isn't enough definition between them. I pay more attention to this next time.

Yesterday DH and I hit up two second hand bookstores in Maryland. One is a keeper, the other we won't bother visiting again. I didn't begin to clean them out of needlework books even though I bought like ten of them. Will detail the titles in the next few days. I'm still going through them myself. Even found a book on four-way bargello.

But I didn't just buy needlework books. I also did some purchasing in the poetry section where I was delighted to find two Richard Brautigan books - The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster (1969)and Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt (1970). This is a huge blast from my past and I will have to see in my library has Trout Fishing in America and A Confederate General from Big Sur. Also scored some e.e. cummings and a few other poetry books.

I am in search of a copy of 50 Heirloom Buttons by Nancy Nehring. If anyone out there has a copy they are willing to sell, I'm buying.

No comments: