Friday, October 22, 2010

It's a Small Hotel

I'm sitting here in a small hotel somewhere in the fine state of Delaware having finally stopped moving for today.

I've got so much to say, but regretfully the photos will have to wait as this small hotel has a slow connection. 

Today I left New Hampshire before dawn and saw sunrise in southern Massachusetts. I had breakfast at Rein's Deli in Vernon, Connecticut. I was occupied by reading Boozehound on my Nook and by eavesdropping on the table of elderly gentlemen seated behind me. Their conversations were about opera and organized crime. Maybe they were retired wiseguys? I don't know, but it was entertaining.

(Boozehound is a book by Jason Wilson who writes a spirits column for the weekly food section of the Washington Post. I like his writing style and have learned a lot from him. I want his job!) 

Did anyone feel the earth move this afternoon? Because Anna, the Stitch Bitch, and I met this afternoon for the first time at the Strawberry Sampler. We even went for a beer and some food. I'm sitting here right now picking at the remains of salad which is getting soggy, but it's still tasty. 

For seven years Anna and I have been reading each others' blogs. We've probably passed each other on the highway to and from New Hampshire or in the air on the way to and from Florida. She's come to D.C. while I've been out of town. So when I realized where I'd be staying I dropped her a line to see if we could meet up. 


To Anna:  I just want to apologize for my brain fog. It has a been a very long week. I did start to come back to life with the addition of beer and food. I'm certain we could sit and stitch for a long time and never run out of things to talk about. 


To our readers:  She's as intelligent and fun as you think she is!

 edit:  A photo of Anna at the Strawberry Sampler in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania.


Outside of this shop the sign says "Cross Stitch" and it's a very accurate description. This shop is all about cross stitch. That said, I did manage to find a few things that needed to come home with me...

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I've made the drive enough times to know exactly how you feel by the time you get to Pennsylvania. I can't believe you went to Reins and didn't bring me pastrami! It was a pleasure to meet you at long last!

Stitching Cat said...

Love Reins deli! I like their chicken salad sandwiches and YUM those pickles!