Sunday, August 12, 2007

Side Two Quaker Heart

 
Posted by Picasa


I finished the stitching on this back in June. But needed to buy some fleece for the finishing. This was a new finishing technique for me and I think it worked fabulously.

Goes like this:

Backstitched with one strand of pearl cotton around the design (two sides must be the same) over two threads. Cut a piece of white fleece just barely smaller than the backstitched design - a piece of tracing paper works to figure this out. Cut out stitched piece leaving a 3/4" border around the backstitching. Finger press in along backstitched line, clipping as needed. Pin fleece to wrong side of design. Baste fleece to linen on backside, being careful not to go through linen on front. Do this for both sides. Now pin wrong sides of linen together and with pearl cotton stitch the two sides together by whipstitching the backstitches. Leave a 2" opening. Turn right side out. Stuff with fiberfill. Continue to whip stitch closed. Bury thread along edge under the whipstitches. Was a little fiddly at the top of the heart, especially as I added a hanger.

I'm such a wuss when it comes to finishing that I'm awfully proud of myself for doing this with a minimum of fuss and bother.

No comments: